“You have a more interesting life if you wear impressive clothes.”
– Vivienne Westwood
That might not be very surprising coming from a fashion designer, but it is kind of true. Living as we do in a world where clothes maketh the (wo)man, dressing right is very important. Not only to impress but to even get that ‘wow’ feeling every time you look in the mirror. And the best way to dress right is to dress according to your body shape.
So, check out our guide to wearing clothes that help hide your flaws and ensure that you always put your best foot forward!
Dressing Guide For The Triangle Shape
This body type is defined by a narrow waist, a smaller bust, and wide hips. Your waist is your asset, so the way you dress should always help accentuate this awesome feature of yours!
- Wear brightly colored tops and tees with prints. Cropped tops and long tees in necklines such as tube (strapless), boat, sweetheart, V-neck or square necklines will look good.
- Use oversized chunky jewelry as well as scarves to emphasize your top half
- Pick wide belts and empire waist dresses to highlight your waist.
- Wear well-fitting jackets and coats that reach your knees.
- Opt for dark colored bottoms and either straight, flared or boot-cut pants and jeans that fit an inch lower than your belly button. As for skirts: A-line, pencil, fit and flare, and tulip are all great options.
- Wear dark colored, tight tops or straight dresses.
- Choose bottoms that have pleats or side pockets and very tight pants/jeans and skirts. Bottoms with horizontal stripes and embellishments are also a big no-no.
The type of footwear you should indulge in include high cone-heels, wedges as well as pointy and blocky kitten heels.
Dressing Guide For The Inverted Triangle Shape
The inverted triangle shape is characterized by broad shoulders, a medium or large-sized bust, very narrow hips, and a waist that is not well-defined. Your aim while dressing should be to create a symmetry between the top and lower halves of your body.
- Opt of dark colored tops with U or V-shaped necklines as well as straight cut coats with a tapering hemline.
- Accessorize with wide belts.
- Pick dresses with a basque waist or straight dresses such as Greek-style ones.
- Wear light colored bottom wear in flared or boot-cut styles. Pants with embellishments and skirt shapes such as A-line, tulip, pleated, and trapeze should be your pop picks!
- Wear tops with OTT embellishments, shirts with puffed sleeves, and tops with noodle straps.
- Wear tapering pants and skirts that taper around your knees.
Shoes that will work best for you include pumps in bright hues and embellished sandals.
Dressing Guide For The Round Body Shape
Long thin legs and slim arms with a very large top half, including bust and waist along with wide shoulders, is what the round or apple body shape looks like. You should dress to appear slimmer.
- Style yourself in tops in darker shades with vertical stripes and V-necks. As for jackets, go for tailored ones as well as trapeze coats
- Wear A-line dresses made of light and flowy fabrics.
- Choose bottoms with thick fabric and with high waistlines in styles such as cropped pants and boot-cuts. Pleated skirts, pencil skirts, wrap skirts, and trapeze skirts are what you should wear.
- Wear tight tops or those with big prints and embellishments. Additionally, avoid belts, jersey material, and chunky accessories.
- Wear light pants/denims and bottoms with low waistlines.
High cone-heels and wedge heels should be your preferred footwear.
Dressing Guide For The Hourglass Shape
Women with hourglass shapes have a well-defined waist and have equally proportions: wide hips and a full bust. Since you have a great figure, your styling should focus on flaunting what you’ve got.
- Wear well-fitted tops and jackets that define your figure but aren’t too tight.
- Accessorize with all kinds of belts.
- Pick fit and flare, body-con or wrap dresses.
- Wear pants with vertical stripes and low waistlines. Also chose from styles such as straight and flared cuts. Skirts to wear include pencil skirts, wrap skirts, and those with high waistlines.
- Wear baggy or loose tops as well as tops with stripes or checks or pockets and puffed sleeves.
- Slip into very tight bottoms and bottoms with large prints, horizontal stripes or patch pockets.
Shoes that match your body shape perfectly are round-toed shoes with slim heels and ballerina flats.
Dressing Guide For The Rectangle Shape
The rectangle shape is defined by narrow hips and bust of equal width and a barely defined waist. When playing dress up, pay attention to wearing clothes that give the illusion of a bigger bust.
- Dress your top half in clothes with bold and colorful prints. Tunics, tops with deep V-necks or scoop necks are your best bet. Oversized collars and blouses with frills and patch pockets will look good too, and so will slightly tight jackets.
- Choose wide belts as accessories.
- Go for high-slit wrap dresses, dresses with puffed sleeves, and empire waist dresses.
- Wear pants with embellishments. Styles that suit include straight and tapered cuts as well as flare cuts. Semi-circle, pencil, and tulip skirts are good options too.
- Use thin belts as accessories and wear very tight tops or tops with horizontal stripes.
- Wear very tight pants and tuck your top into your pants.
The kind of footwear that will work wonders for you are cone heels, ankle boots, and blocky heels.
The importance of dressing right cannot be emphasized enough. So, keep these guide handy whenever you’re in doubt. It’ll help you dress to the nines!